Update: CHI RL Open Changes
February 22, 2018
I come to you all with some updates as it relates to the previously announced $5,000 3v3 CHI RL Open event taking place at Chicago Gaming Coalition No. 1 on March 9th & 11th. We have decided to drop this event to a $1,000 prize pool and we’ll be focused on running another 2v2 format opposed to what was originally announced as 3v3.
A couple things have contributed to this change but we want to be honest and transparent where it comes from and what we intend to do to remedy it and get back on track.
- We’ve been uncertain on the true level of attendance that we were going to be able to accomplish with this format, timing, lead time. Currently, we have about 2-3 teams either confirmed or working on coming together. There are a few factors that we think play into this low turn-out level, but dropping down to 2v2 will make this a little bit easier for teams to find partners to still come participate.
- This is our first big NSG Championship event for Rocket League! We really want to impress everyone with a great experience and show around the 3v3 format and local community. We intend to keep this prize pool investment close by and will be announcing a NEW date for this 3v3 to properly take place very soon. So, this isn’t “goodbye” it’s “see you later” on this event specifically.
- We will be keeping a close eye on any major tournaments and competitive seasons and make sure we can align with an off-season to be the training platform to get everyone ready for their next.
- We will be reaching out to everyone individually that has already registered and paid, with the option of full refunds. These players will then be able to participate in the updated 2v2 event at no cost, on us.
- We are still VERY excited about the 2v2 CHI RL Open @ CGC and you will get the same tournament experience with the full staff that you know and love from past Mad City events. Details have been updated to reflect these changes on this page: https://madcity.gg/events/2v2-chi-rocket-league-open/
As always, please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. We want to make sure we provide the best tournament experiences for all players, and we feel that putting more time, resources, and calculated planning into the details for the big one will do exactly that.
Thanks for all of your support!